La Grande Abbuffata, also known as The Big Feast, is a 1973 Italian movie that tells the story of four wealthy friends who decide to spend a weekend together and indulge in an epic feast. The movie is known for its shocking and controversial themes, including excessive eating, drinking, and sex. However, it’s also a celebration of Italian culture and cuisine, with several scenes featuring delicious and mouth-watering dishes. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at one of the most iconic recipes featured in the movie and how to make it at home.
La Grande Abbuffata is a movie that has been both celebrated and criticized for its portrayal of excess and indulgence. The story revolves around four friends, each representing a different profession – a pilot, a chef, a judge, and a TV producer – who gather at a villa to indulge in a feast of epic proportions. Throughout the movie, the characters indulge in an endless supply of food and alcohol, leading to a shocking and ultimately tragic ending.
The film’s themes have been interpreted in many different ways, with some critics seeing it as a critique of the decadence and excesses of Italian society, while others view it as a celebration of pleasure and hedonism. Regardless of one’s interpretation of the movie, it is impossible to ignore the central role that food plays in the story.
The stuffed turkey with chestnuts recipe is just one example of the delicious dishes featured in the movie. Other notable dishes include a variety of pasta, meats, cheeses, and desserts. The movie’s focus on food has been credited with inspiring a renewed interest in Italian cuisine and cooking, and many fans of the movie have attempted to recreate some of the dishes featured in the film.
How to make a juicy Stuffed Turkey with ChestnutsCourse: Main
One of the most memorable scenes in La Grande Abbuffata is when the characters prepare a stuffed turkey with chestnuts. The dish is a staple of Italian cuisine, particularly during the holiday season, and is a perfect representation of the movie’s themes of indulgence and excess.
1 whole turkey, about 14 pounds
2 cups of chopped chestnuts
2 cups of chopped stale bread
1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of chopped parsley
1/2 cup of chopped prosciutto
1/4 cup of chopped garlic
1/4 cup of chopped onion
1/4 cup of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Rinse the turkey inside and out with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped chestnuts, stale bread, Parmesan cheese, parsley, prosciutto, garlic, and onion.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the stuffing mixture and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff the turkey with the stuffing mixture, being careful not to overstuff.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen twine and tuck the wings under the body of the turkey.
- Place the turkey on a roasting rack in a large roasting pan. Brush the skin with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the turkey for about 3-4 hours, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165°F (74°C).
- Let the turkey rest for at least 20 minutes before carving and serving.
- La Grande Abbuffata is a controversial yet beloved Italian movie that celebrates the joy of food and the pleasures of indulgence. The stuffed turkey with chestnut recipe featured in the movie is a perfect representation of this theme, combining rich and flavorful ingredients in a delicious and satisfying dish. If you’re feeling adventurous, try making the recipe at home and experience a taste of Italian cuisine and culture.